Worksheet error rates are at alarming levels and have been so for years. In fact, many professionals who study this topic estimate that over 90% of worksheets contain errors. One organization – the European Spreadsheet Interest Group – identifies the top three reasons for worksheet errors: 1) human error, 2) fraud, and 3) overconfidence of worksheet authors. In an era in which business professionals rely so heavily on worksheets, current error rates are not acceptable. In this session, you will learn techniques to help prevent and detect worksheet errors so that you will have confidence in the worksheets used by your organization.
- List the five principles of good workbook design
- Identify seven techniques for preventing workbook errors
- Describe why Excel tables are superior to ordinary data ranges as data sources for PivotTables, charts, and formulaic analysis and reports
- Distinguish between the SUM and SUBTOTAL functions for making calculations
- Identify at-risk formulas in worksheets
- Utilize the Inquire add-in to manage the process of auditing workbooks and documenting your work